When Prayer and Care hit home…

 



I put things on our one call system on a regular basis. This is our excellent communication system that we use to reach out to our congregation. Most of the time I put prayer concerns on it, but rarely are they for me.

This last week our family had a crisis. Our 19 year old son left the house and we were not sure when or even if he would come home. So I put it out. Within minutes you people started reaching out to me with prayerful comments, questions, and even an offer to bring supper. Which was brought, even though I tried to deny this loving gesture (how foolish), hot and delicious! What a blessing!

 I was completely overwhelmed in the best possible way. This is exactly how I hope our system will work. The one call allows us to send voice, text and e-mail immediately. But there is no technology that makes you reach out. Only the pure love of Jesus and the concern he inspires to care for your brothers and sisters does that.

In the midst of it all I had someone say I should put out a general update as our son did come home the next day. Honestly, I was half ashamed to put the concern out to begin with, but then the response from so many of you came and I felt so completely cared for that I didn’t think about it. Then it almost seemed like old news.

The way so many of you responded was just beautiful. I got the sense that those who really wanted to know what was up reached out to us personally and that was a great encouragement and it kept happening.

I want to say thanks to everyone who prayed. I have no doubt your prayers helped our son come home.  I would also say a special thank you to everyone who reached out personally to us. It was like oxygen for a person who can’t breathe.

This is exactly the way God’s people should care for each other. When we hear a concern we should pray. And if it touches us deeply, respond with compassionate action as the Lords prompts us. I can tell you from recent personal experience it’s fantastic. You are a great church, faithfully following Jesus-God bless!

 

Comments