The Coronavirus and Myself at War by Ray D. Miller

 



This article comes with permission from the author and was in a magazine I enjoy called The Vendor. I can't say I enjoyed reading this article because it is scary. Ray shares his experience with covid in such a raw and real way it's undeniable. I'm glad to share this truth as he is a brother in the Lord and part of the Old Order Amish church. Pray for him and his witness. -tm


Do you believe in COVID-19? Today, I think there are very few people who don’t believe, although there are always some people that are so ignorant they can’t see the ends of their noses. Since the last issue of The Vendor, I spent six days in the hospital being treated for coronavirus and my forty-year-old brother-in-law died from it. So yes, there is something like COVID-19, and it is serious business.

I know that many of you might have had it and it wasn’t too bad. Good for you. Don’t forget those of us for whom it was much worse. I know that many people had it harder than I did, and many better people than me died from it. I don’t know why I was one of the fortunate ones to survive.

Although that one forenoon in the hospital, I was fairly certain I would never see the outside of the hospital again. I could feel all my strength slipping away from me, and I was sure that I was nearing my end. Nothing in this world meant anything to me anymore and I was so at peace with God and mankind. I didn’t even feel that I was completely in this world anymore. It would have been so nice to just slip away and be with my Creator, but that wasn’t His plan, so I want to try to be patient here again.

Doctor Omran decided to give me that same treatment that President Trump received: Remdisivir and convalescent plasma, along with a mixture of antibiotics and steroids. Yes, it defeated the horrible virus, but I am now working on rebuilding my body.

I must say that Pomerene Hospital has some excellent nurses. I can’t recall all the names of those who took care of me, but Jason in the ER was very comforting. Brody and Eric were my first nurses on the floor. They were both very caring. Eric went beyond and above his duties to try to keep me comfortable. The night Jaci was my nurse, I went through a lot with her also supporting me. And God bless June, the cleaning lady. That woman deserves a huge raise just for the sunshine she brings into a room.

I am sure that some people will say, “Look at that. Ray wore a mask and still got the virus.”

Remember this, I didn’t get the virus because I wore a mask. I got the virus because so many other people refused to wear one. At first in the hospital I really struggled with this, but I got to the point where I forgave all those people who refused to wear masks and kept the virus alive.

I truly believe that if most of the people would have worn masks most of the time, people that died would not have died and many others would not have become sick. We can say that this was all God’s will, but we have to be aware that our actions do make a difference. And wearing masks has been proven to help slow the disease. And no, wearing a mask does not make you sick. Surgeons wear masks most of the time, yet you never read of them getting respiratory issues.

Like I said, I have forgiven, but I hope that we can all be honest with ourselves. The time is at hand when our churches have our Obrikeit Schrifta (Scriptures on submission to the government). As we read these scriptures, let us contemplate prayerfully if we truly were in submission to the government this summer.

I know that I failed many times too. Wearing the mask was important to me, because I believe in obeying the law, but it was so easy to try to make excuses. Let’s not use this time to point fingers, but to work together in healing.

 

COVID played a different hand with my brother-in-law, Leon J Miller. Leon wasn’t so sick, but it affected his heart and caused a blood clot that ended his life. Leon left behind a widow, three children, Kari, age 17, Brian 15 and Joey 9. If you would like to send the family your condolences, do so at Esther Miller family, 14393 Saltcreek Rd., Apple Creek, OH 44606. They need all the support we can offer them.

 

If you are in the area, remember to stop in for a cup of coffee. It might be a good idea to call before you stop in. You can also stop in at Behalt for a chat. Behalt is at the Amish-Mennonite Heritage Center, in Berlin, Ohio. We have a 265-foot long painting that gives you a crash course on Amish and Mennonite history. If you have never visited the center, I encourage you to do so. I work there about four days a week.

Keep calm and carry on.

Pray for us

Ray D Miller


If this article was helpful check out "A word from our Nurses" , "What I saw today" and then for balance "Why we are still worshipping together"

Comments

  1. Feel free to reach out to Ray via email: thevendor101@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray your letter is so touching and to the point. First of all I wish you well in your recovery and send my blessing to your family who weren't as fortunate.We are ALL in this together English and Amish part of the Human Race. Working together we can beat this virus but it takes a team effort and your letter suggests just that so kudo's to Ray for speaking up.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Mark-I've passed that on to Ray-bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment